Food Irradiation - irradiation facility approval step by step
1. 5. 2014 | Source: Point of Single Contact (PSC) Czech Republic
The present activity consists in the irradiation of food and raw materials and their treatment by ionising radiation.
Persons wanting to conduct the activity must first obtain a licence from the State Office for Nuclear Safety to manage sources of ionising radiation. Once they have obtained the relevant permit, they may apply to the Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority for a resolution approving their irradiation facility. The resolution shall be issued upon an application submitted in writing. The relevant body shall examine the correctness of the data in the application and the attached documentation in order to ascertain that the irradiation facility is capable of meeting the conditions specified in the documentation submitted. They shall examine the hygiene of the food production process and, based on their investigation, draft a report setting out their findings. Where the report finds in favour of the applicant, the director of the local Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority shall issue a resolution approving the irradiation facility.
Application for granting approval to an irradiation facility
- The application shall be filed with the Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority
- There is no prescribed form for the application
- Application requirements and conditions for obtaining a resolution
The application shall include:
- a licence to manage sources of ionising radiation from the State Office for Nuclear Safety,
- type approval for the source of ionising radiation,
- appointment of an individual in charge of ensuring compliance with the irradiation conditions,
- justification of the technological need for the irradiation of food and raw materials,
- specification of the sources of radiation,
- documentation that determines those technological sections (critical points) exhibiting the greatest risk of threatening the health safety of food,
- Hygiene Code,
- CZK 1000 stamp.
The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority shall issue the resolution within 30 days
The business may be conducted after fulfilling all the above stated requirements.
You can write your comments and proposals in the discussion forum.