Producing and distributing thermal energy, not subject to licensing – step by step
1. 5. 2014 | Source: Point of Single Contact (PSC) Czech Republic
This operation consists of producing and distributing thermal energy, which does not involve the grant of a license under other legislation. The installed capacity of one source means the total capacity of a boiler room, where the installation involves one source with an output exceeding 50 kW or more sources of lower output with an aggregate that exceeds 50 kW. This trade is not the supply of thermal energy provided by homeowners for their own tenants.
Those interested in operating a business must obtain a license from the Trade Licensing Office. Licenses are granted by written application. A natural or legal person who asks for a license must be covered by liability insurance. The State Energy Inspectorate has input on the application.
Application for a license
The application shall be submitted:
- at any trade licence office
- via public administration contact points (the so-called Czech POINT)
- electronically, via the information system provided by the Register of Trade Business
Form of submission
Conditions for conducting the trade + application requisites and appendices
More specifics/annexes to the application
The application shall be accompanied by material demonstrating professional qualification. In this case, it means:
- Higher education in a study program and study field focusing on engineering sciences and 3 years of experience in the field, or
- Higher vocational education in a field of education with an engineering background and 6 years of experience in the field, or
- Secondary education with a school-leaving examination in a field of education with an engineering background and 6 years of experience in the field, or
For sources of thermal energy up to 1 MW, including separate thermal energy distribution equipment with an installed capacity of up to 1 MW, sufficient is:
- Secondary education with a certificate of apprenticeship in a field of education with an engineering background and 3 years of experience in the field, or
- Retraining certificate or other document of professional qualifications for operating small energy sources issued by an establishment accredited in accordance with specific legislation, or by an establishment accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, or by a ministry whose purview includes the sector in which the trade is operated.
A natural or legal person who applies for a license and is not licensed to produce thermal energy or licensed to distribute heat, shall furthermore:
- demonstrate that he has the technical capacity to perform the licensed activities (in accordance with § 9 of Decree No. 426/2005 Coll.) and that this activity does not endanger the life and activities of persons, property or the interests of environmental protection.
- has a liability insurance policy
If all requirements have been met, the Trade Licensing Office will issue a decision on the application for a license within 30 days of receipt of the application at the local Trade Licensing Office. If the license is granted, the Trade Licensing Office will register it in the Trade Licensing Register within 5 days from the date of granting the license and issue a certificate to the business.
The business may be conducted after fulfilling all the above stated requirements.
- Recognition of qualifications in business in the Czech Republic
- Leasing property in the Czech Republic
You can write your comments and proposals in the discussion forum.
Forms referred to in the guideline: